I decided sometime last year that my Starbucks addiction was getting expensive and out of hand. Well, it wasn't an addiction per se but I did drink it every day. To be honest I don't particularly care for the taste of Starbucks's coffee anymore so I needed an alternative. I bought my own espresso machine and decided to start making my own lattes and iced coffees at home. I realize that this may seem like a lot to some people but I knew that I could do it because I was a barista during college anyway. I know how to make my own drinks exactly the way that I like them and I figured I would share how I do some of my favorite drinks with you guys!
What You Need:
1. Espresso Machine w/ milk frother (they can get kind of pricey but consider it an investment)
2. Ground Espresso
3. Torani Caramel Syrup
4. Torani Caramel Sauce
6. Ice (if you're making an iced caramel latte)
Directions for Hot Caramel Latte:
1. Prepare a shot of espresso (or two for stronger latte) following the directions of your particular espresso machine. Pour into mug.
2. Add three pumps of Torani Caramel Syrup to espresso. Stir with spoon.
3. Steam the milk until its hot using the frother on the espresso machine. To simply steam the milk, try and insert the end of the frother as far into the milk as possible. Using a stainless steel milk pitcher will help conduct more heat.
4. To create milk foam, bring the end of the frother to the very surface of the milk. You should be able to see the milk foam forming after about 5 seconds.
5. Pour the milk into the espresso/syrup mixture. You can use a spoon to control the flow of the milk and save more foam for the top of the drink.
6. Drizzle some Torani Caramel Sauce on top of the drink.
Directions for Iced Caramel Latte:
1. Follow directions 1 and 2 above.
2. Add about 7 ice cubes to the cup (I like to let the cubes sit for a minute just so that it cools off the espresso shot)
3. Pour cold milk over mixture (do NOT froth/steam milk ... obviously because this is an iced latte)
4. Drizzle some Torani Caramel Sauce on top of the drink.
Although these directions are for caramel lattes, Torani makes a variety of flavored syrups. To substitute latte flavors, just substitute the caramel syrup for whatever flavor you desire.
Also as stated earlier, I know that espresso machines can be kind of pricey but I honestly feel that it's worth it. If you calculate purchasing a five dollar Starbucks drink each day (mon-fri) it comes up to about 100 dollars a month. Investing in an espresso machine will save you so much money in the long run and you can tailor you drink to your taste. Also, it's fun!
Hope you enjoyed this post :)